Saicho has Teamed Up with Celebrated Chef, Romy Gill MBE
Saicho has teamed up with celebrated chef, Romy Gill MBE to create a selection of simple, yet delicious recipes to partner with Saicho's range of sparkling teas.
In the current climate, where home cooking inspiration can be wearing thin, Saicho hopes to elevate mealtimes at home and transform the way we pair non-alcoholic drinks with food. Romy's recipes will guide at home cooks through the techniques, ingredients and flavours which marry these dishes and the teas together.
Romy Gill's Cuisine Inspiration
Drawing on her Indian heritage and her passion for global cuisines, Chef Romy has devised recipes which evoke the subtle and sophisticated flavours of each Saicho tea.
- Fresh and delicious king prawns, marinated with tamarind and honey - the sticky sweet flavours are perfectly balanced with the toasted, nutty flavours of a glass of Saicho Hojicha
- Treacly rich, slow cooked lamb with pomegranate molasses and figs served with rice - partners perfectly with the floral and fruity combination of the chilled Jasmine tea
- Paneer and spinach puff pastry parcels - spiced with excitement when served with a Saicho Darjeeling, drawing out the woody spice and a subtle astringency of the tea
For all those choosing not to drink alcohol, Saicho sparkling cold brewed teas will transform a good meal into an amazing one - a timely reminder that, during lockdown, you can still enjoy restaurant quality experiences from the comfort of your home.
Paneer & Spinach Filled Puff Pastry Parcels
Served with Saicho Darjeeling
250g paneer grated
150 spinach washed and chopped
10g grated ginger
1 green birds eye chilli chopped with seeds
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp ground cumin
1tsp ground turmeric
1 pack puff party
1 egg for greasing the pastry
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds once it starts popping add grated ginger and cook for a minute.
- Add grated paneer, chopped spinach and rest of the ingredients and stir it well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to it to cool before making into parcels.
- Next heat oven at 180C fan oven
- While the oven is heating, roll the pastry and cut into 10 squares then put 1 tbsp of the paneer mixture into the middle of the puff pastry and fold into a triangle - press down the edges with your fingers and seal with a fork
- Continue with remaining batch and arrange on large parchment–lined trays, spaced well apart
- Brush the top with the egg wash and bake for 25 minutes
- Serve with ketchup and a refreshing glass of Darjeeling Saicho
Lamb Cooked in Pomegranate Molasses & Figs
Served with Saicho Jasmine
1kg diced lamb
170g white onion roughly chopped
10g ginger peeled and chopped
3 cloves of garlic chopped
1tsp red chilli flakes or powder
1tsp ground turmeric
2tsp ground coriander
3tsp pomegranate molasses
2tsp tomato puree
3tsp ground almonds
6tsp vegetable oil
6 dried figs chopped
For decoration, some fresh chopped coriander and pomegranate seeds.
- In a blender or food processor add all the ingredients except lamb, oil, figs and water - blend into a fine paste
- Heat oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, add the paste to the pan and cook for 10 minutes on medium heat, stirring continuously so the paste does not stick to the pan
- Next, add meat to the paste and fry on high heat for 5 minutes
- Add water the meat and bring it to boil, once the it starts boiling lower the heat and cover the pan with a lid
- Cook for 1 hour until meat cooks and occasionally checking the meat and stirring
- Once cooked leave it to rest for an hour
- Serve with plain basmati rice and a glass of Saicho Jasmine
King Prawns Cooked in Tamarind, Honey & Soya Sauce
Served with Saicho Hojicha
150g King Prawns
1tsp grated ginger
1tsp rice vinegar
4tsp soya sauce
1tsp tamarind paste or 2tsp tamarind chutney
1tsp corn flour
- Except the oil, add all the ingredients into a bowl and marinate - keep aside for 10 minutes
- Heat oil in a pan and add the marinated prawns - cook for 5 minutes
- Serve hot with a glass of delicious Saicho Hojicha